I was cruising blogs this morning and came across this recipe on CutterLight. Oh man! It looked so good, I had to bring it over here and share! 🙂
So, you’ve finished eating all ten polar bear claws and your appetite for almond flavored breakfast pastries is still not sated. You dip your finger into the leftover half-can of almond paste and quickly realize that this product is not intended to be eaten straight. The solution? Almond breakfast crumb cake. The beauty of this cake is that it can be eaten anytime, but since it has breakfast in the title there is no guilt about eating a slice or two first thing in the morning with your coffee. Or drizzle it with a berry syrup for a scrumptious dessert.
Almond Breakfast Crumb Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- dash salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup almond paste
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- crumb topping (see below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- In bowl of a stand mixer, combine butter and almond paste. Beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Add sugar and mix until blended.
- Add eggs, vanilla and almond extract and mix until blended.
- Add half of the flour mixture and milk. Mix until blended.
- Add remainder of flour mixture and mix just until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over top of batter.
- Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- Let cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Store at room temperature.
Crumb Topping Ingredients
- 6 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup sliced almonds
Crumb Topping Directions
- Stir together first three ingredients.
- Add melted butter and stir mixture together until crumbly.
- Stir in almonds until mixed well.